Custodial Care

Custodial Care

Home Forums Discussion Board Custodial Care

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lauren McNally 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lauren McNally
    Participant

Custodial Care, the non-skilled personal care, such as help with activities of daily living (ADLs) like bathing, dressing, eating, getting in or out of a bed or chair, or using the bathroom. These are the tasks that are physically demanding, time consuming and exhausting for the caregiver. ADLs are also the tasks that help determine the level of care need for nursing home care when applying for assistance with nursing home care through Medicaid.

Currently, 80% of our respite assistance has been allocated to caregivers needing assistance in the home to assist with their loved one’s custodial care. To me, this is a very telling statistic, it demonstrates just how needed these services are in order to help keep people in the home and unfortunately our assistance is limited and short term.

What are your thoughts on Medicare’s coverage of “custodial care”? Were/are you surprised Medicare does not assist with this?

tmitchell62
    Participant

Lauren,
    My mom and I have caught a rough time trying to get my dad to get in the tub to bathe or even sit on the shower chair. Can you please email some literature on bathing. One gentlemen at your location sent it but I have mislocated it. Thanks so much.

Teresa Mitchell
    [email protected]

Lauren McNally
    Participant

Ms. Mitchell- I just e-mailed you, I apologize I was not notified of the comment on the forum.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.